Personal Hygiene Is To Acquire A Clean Body, Clean Home And Clean Environment
Personal hygiene is an utmost important aspect of a disease-free healthy lifestyle and one needs to cultivate some good healthy habits to acquire and maintain it.
Maintaining personal hygiene is not a very difficult task. Only thing you need to do is to cultivate necessary healthy habits to wash away the sweat, the dirt, the germs, the bacteria, bad odors, and harmful chemicals, that you are bound to come across in your everyday activities, to keep the infectious diseases and the allergens at bay, and thereby keep yourself fit and fine even at ninety nine.
Habits such as brushing and flossing your teeth every day, washing your hands as often as possible, or taking shower every day, may all look tedious and boring, but all these and also the below mentioned routine activities come under important personal hygiene.
To acquire a clean body means to keep bacteria and disease germs miles away from your body by:
• Maintaining Good Oral Hygiene
• Taking Shower Everyday
• Washing Hands Too Often
• Maintaining Sex Hygiene
• Maintaining Genital Hygiene
• Clipping Nails Regularly
• Always Wear Clean Clothes
Maintain Good Oral Hygiene / Dental Care | Brush and Floss Your Teeth Every Day
Brushing and flossing your teeth at least once a day is the minimum requirement for you to always maintain your oral hygiene and keep your mouth clean and fresh always.
Cleaning teeth every day is very important for removal of the dental plaque and the tartar from your teeth regularly to prevent dental problems like the bad breath, cavities, and the gum diseases like gingivitis (bleeding gums), dental caries and even more severe gum disease, the periodontal disease. Severe gum disease can prove a major cause for over one-third of your tooth loss.
Tooth decay can only be prevented by regular proper brushing of your teeth, by removing all the food particles left and trapped between the teeth.
Teeth, if not cleaned regularly every day, may cause inflammation in the mouth and gums, which in turn may further lead to heart problems.
It is a known fact that inflammation in the body, including the inflammation in the mouth and gums, play an important role in the buildup of clogged arteries, which may further lead to a heart attack.
And so, to prevent tooth decay and reduce the risk of diseases of mouth, gums or heart, maintaining a good oral hygiene is very important.
Dentists all over the world insist on brushing and flossing of the teeth twice a day to maintain good oral hygiene.
To reduce the risk of tooth decay and its associated diseases, regular brushing and flossing of your teeth every day, or better twice a day if possible, is very much necessary for you to maintain good oral hygiene.
Always Feel Clean, Healthy and Refreshed | Take Shower Every Day
Showering or bathing, a frequency of which although, is considered by many people as a personal choice depending upon their cultural and social influences. But I for one will say that everyday showering is a must for those not willing to compromise with their health and personal hygiene.
My logic is that frequency choice of showering or bathing depends more upon your outdoor activities rather than upon your social or cultural influences. However, respecting social and cultural influences is also an important aspect of life and your responsibility too.
If your outdoor activities, including your job, are as such that your body sweats a lot, then even if your sweaty clothes have dried, you are always at risk of infectious diseases because bacteria will form on your skin as they are known to flourish in moisture.
Now, irrespective of what your social or cultural influences are, the infectious disease germ are bound to enter your body through your body's sweat and dirt and make you sick, if they are not removed, cleaned and washed off every day. Merely using lots of perfumes cannot prevent the disease germ from entering your body.
There are many people who are of the view that daily shower is a sin and not good for health. I can only express sympathy with them and pray to God to forgive them as they don't know how much harm they are doing to people in general by misleading them to an unhealthy lifestyle.
On one hand, doctors all over the world recommend washing hands as frequently as possible to avoid risk of infectious diseases, others, on the other hand declaring everyday shower as a sin and not good for health. How contradictory, astonishing, and unhealthy too?
I do not think one can find many people on the planet who can deny the fact that showering induces feeling of freshness and wellbeing.
On the contrary, since purpose of a bath or shower is to remove dirt and all kinds of odors of your body to make you feel always refreshed and keep you healthy, a shower in the evening also could prove a great boon to improve your hygiene and health. The choice, off course, is yours.
If you, do not want to smell bad; do not want to look dirty; do not want the disease bacteria to form on your skin; do not want to compromise with your personal hygiene; it is very important for you to take shower at least once a day, or better twice a day if possible, to always feel clean, healthy and refreshed.
Keep Your Hands Clean and Germs Free | Wash Your Hands too Often
Your hands play very important role in maintaining your personal hygiene and to acquire a disease free clean hands; clean body. You are always at risk of falling sick every time you touch your mouth, nose, or eyes, with unclean or contaminated hands. Your hands may catch germs, bacteria or viruses through other infected persons, through contaminated food or water, or through animals or animal waste, or through toilet. To make sure your hands are clean and not contaminated, wash your hands too often.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the single most important thing that we can do to prevent the spread of infectious diseases such as common cold, influenza (flu), and eye infections.
Hands are pthe most common and fastest vehicles to transmit the germs of infectious diseases from one person to the other person. So, if you want to keep diseases away from you as well as from your children, your family, and other nears and dears, make it your habit to wash your hands too often, particularly when performing the followings:
• Before and after preparing or eating or serving the food to your children and other family members.
• Before and after using the toilet. After the use of toilet, wash your hands with soapy water (not just with plain
water) for at least 20 seconds to kill the germs of infection, if any, because there are always the chances for
hands to catch disease germ while using the toilet.
• In your everyday activities, you are bound to touch many things that cannot be considered as dust free, germ
free, bacteria free or infection free, such as door knobs, keyboards, hand shaking, changing infant diapers,
sneezing and coughing, and many other such hand contacts, and so, always wash your hands after such
• Immediately after returning home from your work-place or after any of your outdoor activities, as you might
have touched many contaminated or dusty things.
• After handling your pets.
• When you are sick or attending any sick person, wash your hands frequently with soapy water.
• Wash your hands before as well as after rubbing your eyes or boring finger in your nostrils or ears. Wash
hands after sneezing, coughing, or blowing your nose.
• Better to cultivate a habit of washing your hands too often, even if it seems irrelevant or unnecessary.
Always Feel Clean and Healthy | Maintain Your Sex Hygiene
Sex hygiene is also as important as overall health hygiene in a healthy lifestyle, but very few people know how to maintain it.
Sex hygiene means keeping your genital organs, genital areas, mouth, hands, nails, and body skin clean and odor free so as to keep yourself away from chronic sex diseases such as an infection affecting the skin of your genitals called Genital Herpes, sexually transmitted infection called HIV/AIDS, and an infectious sex disease called Syphilis, to name a few. Good sex hygiene induces feeling of cleanliness and freshness.
Following are some good sex hygiene tips that can be useful for you to maintain your personal sex hygiene:
• Must take shower before and after sex indulgence.
• During menstruation period, change your tampons and sanitary pads in time, preferably every three to six
hours depending upon menstrual flow, as keeping them moist for a long time may let bacteria thrive causing
bad odor and infections.
• Wash your hands before and after using sanitary pads.
• Keep your nails dirt free, preferably short and clean.
• Use mouth wash before and after sex, to keep mouth clean and refreshed.
• Wash your genital organs thoroughly before and after sex, with luke warm water, as it is necessary to prevent
the yeast infections as well as bad odor.
• Always keep your pubic hairs trimmed. It not only gives a clean appearance but prevents itching and bad odor.
• Do not indulge in sex when one partner is ill, as it may cause transmission of the disease bacteria.
• Do not indulge in oral sex if either of the sex has sores inside mouth or near genital areas, to prevent infections
and to maintain your overall sex hygiene.
Keep Your Body Clean and Healthy | Maintain Your Genital Hygiene
• Wash your genital organs and areas with clean water every day without fail.
• Keep genital areas and the folds between the legs, dry and moist-free as bacteria are known to lavish in
• Wash external genital areas of vulva, folds of the labia, or clitoris with clean water mixed with mild soap, twice
• Wash your genital organs before and after sex, with lukewarm water, to prevent yeast infections as well as bad
• While treating thrush and cystitis, care should be taken that every item is used once only and is washed
• During menstruation period, it is necessary to change tampons or sanitary pads 3 or 4 times daily.
• Do not apply perfumes and deodorants directly to the genital areas.
• Always keep your pubic hairs trimmed to prevent itching and bad odor.
• Do not indulge in sex when one of the partner is ill, as it may transmit disease bacteria.
• Do not indulge in sex if either of the sex has sores inside mouth or near genital areas, to prevent infections.
• If sex toys are to be used, these should be thoroughly cleaned before after use.
• Hand washing is an essential part of genital hygiene. Wash your hands before as well as after sex or cleaning
• Use mouth wash before and after the sex, to keep mouth clean and to prevent infections of genital areas.
Maintain Good Personal Hygiene | Clip Nails Regularly
Nails on fingers and toes are the protective caps for your fingers and toes and therefore maintaining your nail hygiene is also very important for you to maintain overall cleanliness of your body as well as good personal hygiene.
Nails are made up of layers of protein called keratin and tend to grow constantly and therefore must be clipped regularly.
Since nails are exposed to the environment, dirt keeps accumulating regularly beneath its constantly growing hard tissues making them prone to infections. It is therefore very important for your overall personal hygiene to clip and clean your nails regularly.
Longer nails can accumulate more dirt and bacteria than the short nails and may contribute to the increased risk of infection. To prevent the spread of germs and nail infections, following tips may be of help to you.
• Clip the nails short and trim them regularly, preferably every week. Care should be taken not to cut too close to
damage the skin.
• Before clipping or grooming nails, accessories like nail clippers or files should be properly cleaned.
• It is better not to share your clipping tools as it may cause infection, but if you must, the tools should be
sterilized before every use.
• Scrub the underside of nails with soapy water, or better with a small nail brush, at regular intervals to remove
the accumulated dirt underside of nails.
• Do not chew and bite your nails as it may cause infection.
Maintain Clothes Hygiene | Always Wear Clean Clothes
Clothing hygiene is very important aspect of your personal hygiene as well as of your social dignity and overall wellbeing, and therefore, you should always wear newly washed clean clothes.
Hygiene and skin infections, like sweat, acne, or folliculitis on your back or body, is the most important reason to change your clothes regularly.
Change your clothes whenever they need to be. Your clothes should always appear clean, it helps maintain overall cleanliness of your body.
Clothes should be changed before they start to smell and look dirty.
Changing used clothes for clean ones every day is recommended for an overall personal hygiene.
Wear the clothes as long as they are clean and without smell.
If you are more sweaty, more frequently you need to change your clothes.
Undergarments such as inner shirt and underwear must be changed every day without fail as they tend to smell of sweat the same evening.
Women should take special care to change their bra and underwear every day without fail.
Every woman's skin produces oil as a result of which a thin sheen of oil and dirt can be seen on every surface of bra the same evening. Underwear also tend to smell because of sweat. Women, therefore should take special care to change their garments every day without fail.
Clean home refers to a home free of contaminants like dust, dirt, bad odor, germs, and harmful chemicals. Everything clean; clean kitchen, clean bathroom and sanitation, clean pets, clean plants, and overall clean environment.
Keep your home neat and clean by maintaining:
• Kitchen Hygiene
• Bathroom Hygiene / Sanitation
• Cleanliness of Your Home Environment
Maintain Kitchen Hygiene:
Food is the basic-necessity for human existence on this earth, but to live a disease free healthy life on this earth, it is very important to eat only non-contaminated healthy food.
It is therefore, very important for us to maintain hygiene of our kitchen.
Kitchen hygiene means cleanliness of kitchen.
Keep your kitchen clean to prevent spread of food borne diseases such as Salmonella and a type of bacterium called Listeria.
Following care should be taken to maintain hygiene of your kitchen:
• Washing hands too often is of utmost importance to prevent spread of diseases.
• Tie your hair back.
• Wear an apron to protect your clothes.
• Use clean water for washing and cooking of food.
• Wash all foods and vegetables before cooking.
• Keep chopping boards neat, clean, and dry after every use.
• Wash fruits before serving or eating.
• Do not use foods of expiry date.
• Cookers and all utensils should be washed clean and dry.
• Keep kitchen floor clean and dry.
• Keep sinks clean and sparkling.
• Throw the garbage in the bins provided for the purpose and do not let it over flow.
• Keep all of your equipment neat and clean.
• Always keep door and handles of your refrigerator clean. Use odorless cleaner to protect the stored foods.
• Keep your kitchen free from insects like cockroaches, ants, and other various insects.
• Cover all the foods and utensils before using any sprays to kill insects.
• Do not enter in your kitchen with your shoes on.
Environmental Cleanliness | Maintain Your Bathroom Hygiene / Sanitation:
Bathroom hygiene refers to the conditions or facilities of your bathroom that are helpful to maintain cleanliness of bath and toilet as well as maintaining overall environmental cleanliness of your home.
Sanitation also refers to the maintenance of the hygienic conditions, such as a septic tank for waste-water disposal, to maintain overall environmental cleanliness of your home.
Tips to Maintain Bathroom Hygiene and Sanitation:
• Clean all bathroom areas such as floor, sink, toilet sheet, shower, bathtub, and sewage area regularly.
• Clean wash basin area everyday as most of bath bacteria can be found there.
• Wash your hands with soapy water after using toilet or after cleaning any area of bath and toilet.
• Whenever using public restroom, cover the toilet seat with toilet paper before sitting down.
• Close toilet before flushing.
• Organize toothbrushes, toothpaste, soaps, creams, lotions, shaving kit etc. in a neat and clean manner so that
they do not get mixed up.
• Do not keep bath floor or toilet area wet and slippery.
• Keep bathroom dry and moisture-free by installing exhaust ventilation fans to throw moisture out.
• Always use freshly washed bathroom towels or napkins.
• Do not keep moist towels or napkins as moisture is an ideal breeding place for bacteria.
• Clean the drain place and plug holes using an anti-bacterial cleansing solution at regular intervals.
• Maintain the cleanliness of septic tank, if you have any.
• Throw the garbage in bins provided for the purpose.
Maintain Overall Cleanliness of Your Home Environment:
Keep your home dust-free, clean, and full of fresh air to maintain overall hygiene of your home.
• Clean the flooring of all the rooms of your home every day to remove contamination as most slip accidents
happen when floors are contaminated.
• Choose the best cleaning method for your floor.
• Do not keep floors wet and slippery.
• Cleaning carpets and curtains of your home at regular basis is necessary to maintain cleanliness of your
• Carpets and curtains are known to absorb lots of dust from the air which is not good for health. Clean the dust
of curtains and carpets by regular vacuum cleaning.
• Change the bed sheets and pillow covers of a bed as soon as they start to look dirty to prevent spread of
germs and infection.
• Keep your pets well cleaned and healthy to prevent spread of disease through pets. Do not handle your pets
too close to your mouth and nose.
• Keep house plants in your home to raise humidity and help increase the oxygen level and decrease dust to
keep air refreshed. Plants are also known to reduce harmful contaminates in the air.
• Always eat balanced healthy food and drink pure clean water to maintain your overall personal hygiene.
What Is the Key to A Happy and Healthy Lifestyle?